The 62nd edition of The Hot Box opens up the guitar files for an alphabetical series that will cover a wide range of eras and styles in the very wide world of the guitar in jazz. By some margin the guitar is the most popular of all musical instruments, and its presence in jazz is no less widespread, blossoming when someone had the bright idea of amplifying its sound. Right now, there are over 30 pro or semi-pro guitarists in Ireland who play jazz, although finding their recorded output may be problematic.
So, we start with The A File - John Abercrombie, Howard Alden and Laurindo Almeida for starters.
We are always seeking recordings by Irish artists and Irish inspired recordings, so if you know of any, let us know. The Hot Box is released on www.jazzireland.ie every 2 weeks, please tell your friends about The Hot Box and share it on social media. Questions, comments and requests to
Track Listing for The Hot Box #062 - The Guitar Files - Part 1
- Riddles by The John Abercrombie Quartet from the album The First Quartet
- Anniversary Song by Rez Abassi from the album Djang-Shift
- Tune for a Lyric by Howard Alden from the album Your Story - the Music of Bill Evans
- Give Me Five by Albare from the album The Road Ahead
- Love Jumped Out by Howard Alden (Alden/Barrett Quintet)
- If I Were a Bell by Ron Affif from the album Ringside
- Manha De Carnaval by The LA Four (Laurindo Almeida) from the album Scores!
- Funkallero by Howard Alden from the album Your Story