In this series of glimpses into the world of jazz guitar, Hot Box 68 finds perhaps the most important guitarist of them all - Charlie Christian. He was born in 1916 and sadly died of tuberculosis when just 25 years old, but he’d already established the amplified guitar as a permanent part of the instrumental repertoire of jazz, and gone part of the way in leading jazz out of the Swing Era and into Bebop and modern jazz.
Other prominent players in the “C” file include Larry Coryell, Steve Cardenas and Philip Catherine.
An hour of guitar with a wide range of styles.
We are always seeking recordings by Irish artists and Irish inspired recordings, so if you know of any, let us know. The Hot Box is released on www.jazzireland.ie every 2 weeks, please tell your friends about The Hot Box and share it on social media. Questions, comments and requests to
Track Listing for The Hot Box #064 - The Guitar Files - Part 4
- Charlie Christian: Solo Flight from the album Swing to Bop
- Larry Coryell: Ballet (the Gary Burton Quartet, from the album Duster)
- Eric Clapton with Robert Cray and Buddy Guy: Watch Yourself from the album 24 Nights
- Nigel Clark: Paco di Lucia from the album Under the Stars
- Nels Cline with Julian Lage: Freesia/The Bond from the album Room
- Steve Cardenas: Rootie Tootie (with Kurt Rosenwinkel, from the album Paul Motian’s Electric Band Plays Monk)
- Philip Catherine: I Concentrate on You
- Philip Catherine: In The Still of The Night - both from the album Plays Cole Porter
- Larry Coryell: River Crossing from the album Heavy Feel
- Charlie Christian: Swing to Bop and Waiting for Benny both from the album Swing to Bop